Saturday, October 25, 2014

Mixed Shelf #17

Rainy Fall days always get me in the mood for middle grade fantasy books. There's something extra cozy about that combination. Throw in a purring cat, a warm blanket and a good cup of tea and I am content for hours on end!


Wanting: Fire Spell by Laura Amy Schlitz
Was it the cover that drew me in? Absolutely! …but I am also curious about the story. It does sound quite sinister, but it's a children's book, so it might still be doable. It involves orphans, magic and an evil puppeteer that turns one of the protagonists into a marionette by controlling her body and mind. Creepy, right? Halloween read, maybe.


Reading: Wild Magic by Cat Weatherill
Where I live, we have "children's book week" each year. If you buy any children's books then, you also get a gift. I liked the gift book, so I browsed my favorite bookstore and happened upon Wild Magic. It seemed interesting, and the cover is gorgeous! It even has silver specks! Anyway, it's a retelling of the Pied Piper and I'm quite liking it so far.


Waiting: The Chronicles of the Chrestomanci Vol.1 by Diana Wynne Jones
This book has been sitting on my shelf for probably about a decade. I have read two other Diana Wynne Jones-books, and I did like them. They're not my favorite books, but quite enjoyable. I also got stuck in another one, twice. And I just never got round to reading this book, something else always distracted me. Perhaps I'll still squeeze it into 2014...




How about you? What are your favorite Fall reads? Or can you recommend any good middle grade fantasy?

3 comments:

  1. Like you said the fall season makes we want to read children's stories and fairy tailed! So I've been reading the Brothers Grimm fairy tale stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a good fantasy story! I used to always read them and horror books when I was younger.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive got fire spell out of the library ... but havent started it yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...