Saturday, October 4, 2014

Mixed Shelf #15

Usually my set of three has more of a connection than today. These are actually pretty random, but they do all seem to involve some sort of search or journey, so there's still a slight red thread. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this eclectic mix!


Wanting: Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek
I spotted this in a very cute bookstore once. It's not a book I really need to own, but I would at least like to read it some day. It's full of things people left between the pages of books. It sounds like the beginning of a novel, doesn't it? But this is actually just little snippets and postcards and photographs. And I am very, very intrigued.


Reading: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
It took me a while to get into this. At first I thought it was a bit boring... it was so repetitive and the encounters Harold had on his long walk were very short and thus quite shallow. However, I decided to stick with it and it is paying off more and more. I think the ending will be worth it, and if not, then at least I enjoyed part of it very much.



Waiting: The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal
This is actually a work of non-fiction. The author came to inherit a collection of Japanese carvings and tries to learn about their history and the history his family has with them. Everything I've read about it has been very positive, and the whole premise just seems wonderful. Also, the hare carving on the cover  really sparked my interest too.



Are you reading anything you're enjoying at the moment? Or any strange books you'd like to recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...