Wednesday, February 24, 2010


Pretty Paintings

Since I've really gotten into photography, I thought I could blend it in with the painted art I usually write about. Richard Estes is a photorealist/hyperrealist and he's so good it's creepy. I wouldn't have guessed it was a painting when I first saw his double self portrait:


He loves to play with reflection so most of his paintings have some sort of shop window. Even though he does this so often, it doesn't really get old. Probably because it looks so incredibly life-like.


He usually has really American looking work, the streets, the diners, and all of it has that lovely vintage vibe.


They'd be good if they would have been pictures, but knowing they're paintings is just mindblowing, I still can't wrap my head around it.

Just a Little Update

Speaking of pictures. I did get my Nikon today. I was afraid they might be sold out, but they still had a pretty big pile when I showed up on the third day of the sale. For now I'll make do with the basics; the camera, the lens that came with the kit, a weatherproof bag, a UV filter and of course a memory card. I'm sure I'll be needing some more stuff later on, but I didn't want to exceed my budget by that much. A lens that's great for portraits is the first thing on my wishlist, but I'm sure I'll be able to take a decent portrait with this one, since I took a few with the same lens in art class already.

I can't wait to start taking pictures tomorrow! I'll try to install the software then too, so I can show you a few of my first pics on an SLR.

2 comments:

  1. before reading your post, i assumed that the first image you posted was a photo. i can't believe it's a painting and i can't stop looking at it.

    congratulations on your new nikon -- hurrah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love these kinds of paintings. beautiful. i love the feeling that comes across.

    this is a great blog, i really liked the music on the last one. great choice.

    it is great to see what inspires you. i'll have to check out your etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...