Sunday, June 12, 2011

Great Reads: Self-Made Man

I just finished reading Norah Vincent's first book. It was phenomenal! It's been only a few years since I discovered how amazing non-fiction can be, but this really went beyond any expectations I could possibly have had.


We follow Norah as she lived as Ned for a year and a half. It's both an objective and a personal story, I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's what it felt like because you both learn a lot about both sexes along the way, but of course get to see it through her eyes too.

Antony Hegarty(from Antony and the Johnsons) once said that it would do wonders if everyone would go through hormone therapy for a little while, to catch a glimpse of what the other gender is feeling. That, of course, is a bit drastic, but reading this book would all help us take a little step in that direction. It points out so well how different we are, while we're also all looking for the same things. It might make us more considerate and help us get along better.

On top of all the "life lessons" it was entertaining too. I don't think I've ever had such a fun yet informative read.

1 comment:

  1. interesting concept! I'll have to check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...