Friday, July 13, 2012

Lovely Movies: Pom Poko

By now you must know that I'm a huge Studio Ghibli fan, and though I haven't seen all of the movies yet, I'm definitely getting there. The latest one to cross of my list was Pom Poko.


If you've ever been to Japan I'm sure you saw the Tanuki statues in front of people's doors. Well, those are the raccoons that inspired this film. They are shapeshifting creatures that like to play pranks on people *cough* and make music with their genitals *cough* and, in this case, are determined to save their forest.


I really enjoyed this movie! And I have to say that the English version was pretty good as well. I always try to watch the original, but the subtitles were annoying so I switched half way through.

Anyway, despite the massive amount of bizarre things, I think most people would actually enjoy this film. And it's one of those stories that's entertaining for all ages. It even had a nice message: to cherish nature. Also, it was pretty darn cute.

10 comments:

  1. I am Ghibli fan also)The message of a film is areally great one! And i remember when i ve watched this movie with my nephews and formyself 100s times) I love the part with the festival. Such incredible imagination Ghibli people have)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this but it looks adorable! :)

    <3 Sharmaine Ruth
    underpeachtrees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so cute!

    Xoxo Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, how cute! i'll be on the lookout for the english version. :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Want a summer scarf? Enter to win a $20 ScarvesDotNet Gift Certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE!!! I want to watch this! (I am still snickering over their "natural" bits, though, baha.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I thought I was a Ghibli fan but never knew about this movie! The tanuki are really cute and the movie overall looks really sweet :) Ghibli is sort of like Pixar in that it can keep creating these imaginative and charming stories. Of course Ghibli has a style all their own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that does look very cute! a movie that kids and grownups would enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever since I went to Japan, I've been obsessed with anything/everything Studio Ghibli. I've only seen a couple (Spirited Away and Kik's Delivery Service) but also want to watch as many of them as I can get my hands on!
    This one looks interesting- and that's so funny about the music making!)
    VIsiting the Ghibli museum is on my bucket list, as I didn't have time to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only seen a couple of the Studio Ghibli films... but have been slowly trying to buy them all! The animation and design is always just inspiring, which makes even the simpler stories (like Ponyo and Arietty) completely watchable.

    I visited the Studio Ghibli museum while I was in Japan, and it was one of the BEST experiences of the trip / my life. ;)

    xx
    Melissa @ Melicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool!!!! I want to watch this so badly now!

    http://mandycrandell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...