Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pretty Pictures

The day before yesterday our class went to FOAM, the Amsterdam photography museum, to see a large exhibition of a photography duo Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin. It was breathtaking!


I had seen ads on the street but was afraid I'd missed it, fortunately I still got to see it in their last week. And I even got to buy a poster.

We had to pick three pictures and do a quick write of everything that crossed our minds, later on we'd have to write a careful review on one of them. I will do that on the photo above of Antony Hegarty of Antony & the Johnsons.


I also really liked the one of Hilary Swank, which you really have to see in full size to experience the full effect and which got me a little teary-eyed myself, and this somewhat unusual one of Natalie Portman that I just couldn't pull myself away from.

It wasn't until the last room I saw this gorgeous picture of Tilda Swinton, she looks a bit alienesque, but as a portrait I find it absolutely gorgeous. And the colors! How most of it is muted grey and sepia, apart from the hair and the eyes. It's such a powerful image.


Somehow I only posted more conservative portraits, they had some pretty unconventional ones too and a whole bunch that was edited in a way that goes way beyond the usual touch ups on photoshop. But I am always really drawn to portraits that show someones personality, their whole being. I haven't found anything that can capture those intimate moments apart from photography and it got me addicted from the start.

2 comments:

  1. the look on Natalie's eyes got me sad. all these shots have so much emotions in them which are wonderfully portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow those photographs are so surreal! They look fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...