Friday, April 24, 2015

Finding Vivian Maier

The story of Vivian Maier is extremely interesting, as is the story of how her work was quite recently discovered. I was very intrigued by the documentary about her stunning work and the unusual circumstances of her posthumous fame.


Eight years ago John Maloof found a random box of negatives in an auction. He was blown away by what he found and ended up tracing the rest of Vivian Maier's pictures, her life's story, and bringing her work to the public.


I was very sad to find out I actually just missed an exposition of her work in my city, but I only found out about her after that had closed down. Either way, this documentary was well worth watching. It has it's darker moments as well, but it was just incredibly captivating to hear all about such a complicated and solitary photographic genius.

4 comments:

  1. This documentary seems really interesting and mysterious! I think I'll check it out :) her photography looked really good from what I saw in the trailer, I just want to know why she was so secretive about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has definitely been on my watch list, I secretly long to find a box of negatives or even a photo album full of photos when I'm out thrifting - maybe one day it will happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read about her and think her photos are amazing. This is the first I've heard of the documentary and I definitely want to watch it

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never knew there's a documentary about her! definitely bookmarking this

    sydsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...